These resources are for those assisting immigrant and refugee families who are caring for non-biological children (such as grandchildren, nieces, nephews, cousins, siblings, or friends). Overseas, these children are typically referred to as “separated children,” while in the U.S. Refugee Program, they are typically referred to as “attached refugee minors.” In the U.S. legal and child welfare fields, these caregivers are often referred to as “relative caregivers” or families with “kinship care” arrangements. For further basic information on guardianship and refugees, please see:

Establishing guardianship (or in some states, custody) is recommended when a refugee family is caring for non-biological children under 18. The following searchable directory provides basic information about the guardianship procedures in each state. This information has been collected from communicating with clerks of courts, legal aid attorneys, and refugee resettlement staff as well as from court Web sites and publications for relative caregivers.