Skip to content
Bilingual Parent Library
- The mission of the ESOL Bilingual Migrant Program of St. Louis Public Schools is to provide effective and age-appropriate English language instruction (Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing), and to support English Language Learners’ achievement in all content areas, grades K-12.
- The Bilingual Parent Library is one of the ESOL program components. Located in the district ESOL Office, the library collection includes over 500 titles of books and dictionaries in 6 languages (Arabic, Nepali, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, and Vietnamese), the library offers students and parents an opportunity to have shared literacy experiences.
- Parents who come to the ESOL Office can check out 2 books at a time and keep the books for up to a month.
- In each of the ESOL center schools in the district, there are banners promoting the bilingual parent library.
- Families whose students attend elementary ESOL centers also participate in bilingual library subscription that allows families to check out books without going to the ESOL Office where the library is located. The books are delivered to the student’s school where ESOL teachers serve as a liaisons to distribute the books to students, collect them when books are returned, and send them back to the bilingual library.
- ELL Parent meetings conducted by the ESOL Office have dedicated times for each language group to visit the library and check out the books.
- This year, the district adopted the Seal of Biliteracy and will also begin implementing Pathways towards Biliteracy awards. The bilingual parent library is one of the strategies used to support biliteracy experiences of district students.
- The library also includes bilingual books with CD. CD players are available for check out.