BRYCS is funded by the Office of Refugee Resettlement (ORR) to provide tehcnical assistance to refugee families and the organizations that serve them. That said, we frequently receive technical assistance requests from individuals trying to obtain guardianship for U.S.-born children. While we are unable to provide in-depth assistance on these requests or legal advice, the following information may point you in the right direction.

  • If you are seeking guardianship of a U.S.-born child, please refer to BRYCS searchable directory which provides state-by-state information on guardianship in the U.S. You will most likely need to contact a lawyer within your state who can help you navigate the required court forms.
  • You may also want to contact The Grandfamilies State Law and Policy Resource Center, which serves as a national legal resource in support of grandfamilies within and outside the child welfare system.
If you are seeking guardianship of a refugee child, please email for more information.